The Adventures and Musings of a Conservation Biology Graduate Student

Sunday, August 12, 2007

Wilderness - July 31, 2007

So yesterday I was told that there is actually a distinct part of the refuge called "the wilderness". I looked around my surroundings, in the middle of dense woodland, and thought that slightly ironic.

Weather has been a bit nicer this week. We had some rain and dangerous looking clouds yesterday, and I think our high was 85. Beautiful! It was such a waste that it was my day off and I didn't have to work. This morning was also cloudy and misty, but it cleared up this afternoon. I actually didn't spend the day here, I went to Wichita KS to take a look at their Prairie Center. Very pretty trails, and a pretty cool visitor's center. They have a couple of captive screech owls, and one captive burrowing owl. Sigh. I think the burrowing owl is my favorite owl, and at the top of my list of favorite birds. They're just so small and yet so haughty and pissed off looking. That is, until one makes his eyes really big and turns his head upside down. Then he is just too adorable for words. And then of course the chicks - lol. Cotton balls on toothpicks I swear.

No comments: