The Adventures and Musings of a Conservation Biology Graduate Student

Friday, August 24, 2007

Born Free

Monday night, as previously mentioned, was not a good night for the deer censusing. Because of the lightning, thunder, and ominous clouds we had to call it quits at 11:00, before we had even finished the north transect.

But you only got one half of the story. I'm assuming because of the storm, the next morning I had a lot of activity with my mammal traps. And this morning, I use the word "mammal" lightly. Shelby had previously suggested putting one of my traps right against what we thought was a K. rat den. So, Tuesday morning, I'm groggily checking my traps, and the one flush with the den hole was closed. I pick it up, and there is definitely something live in there. I give a brief prayer of thanksgiving for finally catching a Kangaroo rat, and I slowly open the door of the trap. And...I give a loud squeak and pop the door closed again. Why? Because it wasn't a Kangaroo Rat. It was even a mammal. It was a snake. Yes! A snake in my mammal trap, and I had no idea what kind. Mentally chewing out Shelby, I put the mammal trap in my truck to take to Curtis - the herp. guy.

But we're not done yet. Before all my traps are checked I encounter a hispid cotton rat, a plains leopard frog, a cute little deer mouse, and another snake! This one I knew - the red-sided garter snake. I simply slid him out of my trap and sent him on his way. Brave, I know. :) Anyway, I take the poor, cute little deer mouse (Curtis has asked me to give him (and his snakes) any deer mice I catch. I feel bad for the mouse, but he'd probably end up as someone's food anyway - I mean he was dumb enough to get caught in a trap not even meant for him) and the unknown, scary snake back to Mr. Herp Guy so he can identify the snake. Hell, I'm not even worried about identifying him at this point, I just want him out of my mammal trap!

As luck would have it, Curtis was out for the day. Emily and I moved the snake from the mammal trap to a snake bag, and from the snake bag to a little plastic aquarium. I sheepishly realize that he is not nearly as big as I thought he was. After spending some time in our reptile books, we realize that what we have is a Kansas Glossy Snake - called glossy because of how shiny and glossy its skin is. He can be identified not only by its skin, but by a black band that "connects" the eyes of the snake (basically like a mask) and by it's plain white belly (which is apparently rare with snakes). Thinking that Curtis was out for the day, I release both the snake and the deer mouse (not together - I figure I'll pull for the underdog and give the mouse the benefit of the doubt about his ability to survive). Curtis, of course, shows up in the afternoon, very put out that a snake he hasn't gotten to spend much time with was here and now gone. You see, the glossy snake has never been confirmed as a refuge species - we thought it was here, but we weren't sure. Now, obviously, we're very sure. So, Curtis felt like he really missed out. I wisely didn't mention the mouse, and suggested I might catch him again (of course, the odds of that happening...)

What I loved about the glossy snake is that is defined as "mild mannered" and will not bite if handled - might flail a bit though. So Emily and I braved it and started handling him to take pictures. And we got some good ones. And those pictures are what I was waiting on before I posted this story. However, you're not going to get them. Emily has been gone both yesterday and today, so no pictures of that snake for you.

But don't despair. I have more to tell. Yesterday morning, I, even more groggily, am checking the funnel traps, and what should I find but a snake in one. I bring the funnel trap to eye level, and use my checklist to figure out what kind of snake it is. Glossy skin? Check. Black band connecting the eyes? Check. Plain, white belly? Check. Completely non-aggressive behavior? Check.

So there I have it. Another Kansas glossy snake. However. This isn't the same one - this one is much bigger - I guestimate about 2 1/2 long.

Still not sure about my find, I don't take it out of the trap (after all, I don't have anything to put him in, and I can't drive and deal with a snake in my lap at the same time - even a mild mannered snake). But, realizing I will make the day of a certain herpetology enthusiast, I take the snake and trap back to the refuge with me.


Sigh. Curtis was, again, out for the day. So was Emily. So - all by myself (that's the important part) I, without gloves, get the snake out of the funnel trap, play with him some, look for someone to show him to, and, realizing that no one was in the office, finally put him in the little aquarium that held his conspecific just a few days before. I called Curtis to see when he was gonna be in and what he wanted me to do with this cool creature, and he tells me to keep it until he gets back. On Tuesday. So, now I have a temporary refuge mascot, and lots of pictures have been taken. I always knew I liked snakes, but I never thought I would enjoy playing with one like I have today and yesterday. I can only hope that he isn't too stressed out. His aquarium is a little smaller than I would like, but as he seems most comfortable coiled up, I'm not too worried about it. Curtis assured me he would be fine, and he is the resident herp. expert...

But. The adventures with wildlife are not finished. Last night on the deer census, Shelby was the driver, and I was the record keeper/co-pilot and we had finished with the census and we driving back to HQ when what should hop across the road in front of us but a kangaroo rat. Sigh. Shelby laughed and said, "I told you! I told I see them everywhere!" I grimaced and thought evil thoughts about stupid kangaroo rats who were mocking my efforts to do a survey on them. Little did I know that seeing the little guy was really an omen of things to come.

Late last night we had several more thunderstorms roll through, so when I managed to bring myself to consciousness this morning (4 late nights with early mornings can really do a number on a sleep lover like me), I think that, like Tuesday morning, I'm in for several more sightings in my mammal traps - without actually seeing a Kangaroo rat, of course. So, unbelievably groggy, I check my mammal traps this morning, and nothing! I'm so disappointed, but I still have 20 traps to check. I get to the third of my last 20, and belatedly realize that both doors are shut. Wondering what I have (this is the same area where I caught the garter snake) I very cautiously open up the door to find....MY FIRST KANGAROO RAT. Sure, she was a little soggy and her fur was matted, but there she was - long tail and all. I was completely unprepared (in terms of measuring and weighing her) so I take her back to the refuge's lab with me. I find a large plastic bag, and get her from the trap into the bag, where I see, yes, in fact, she is a little girl. She was 10 inches long from the tip of her nose to the tip of her tail - 4 1/2 inches of that was her actual body, the rest was all tail. She weighed around 3.5 oz. She had hurt herself in the trap; she had some blood on her, but I couldn't find the wound, and it didn't look like a new wound, so my guess is she panicked when the trap shut on her and cut herself on a metal bit. And aside from being extremely stressed and bedraggled looking, she was completely fine. I didn't get bit (thank heavens - that is not an experience I'd like to repeat), and she got a pretty new pedicure out of the deal. I did some research, and it turns out that K. rats marked by ear tagging or other such methods actually have a higher mortality rate than K. rats marked by other, non-painful methods. Not having the funds to insert a microchip in her, we went with the next best thing: Nail polish. :)

After her pedicure, I took her back and let her go. As I released her, I sang the chorus of "Born Free". I think she appreciated it (remember, I am severely sleep deprived). She was gracious enough to freeze for me long enough to get some great pictures of her. So, now I do not have to show you a picture of a live trap, because I've actually succeeded in trapping one.

Because I'm just so proud of my animals this week, I'm gonna leave you with more pictures of both snake and rat. :)



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a cute little rat!!! I love kangaroo rats.

I'm a little surprised that there is so much overlap between the fauna of NW Oklahoma and south Arizona. In kindergarten in Tucson we used to catch horny toads in the wash, and kangaroo rats were fairly common around our area too. Are these critters migrating, or is the environment just really similar?

I love your blog, Jenn. It's clear that you're really having a great time. I'm so glad!!

M

Jenn's Place said...

My assumption is just that the habitats are similar. G'ma was talking about always finding K. rats during the summers in Nebraska way back when, and my professor tells me they used to be extremely prevalent in Norman. The habitat both horny toads and k. rats like is sandy soil and sparse vegetation. I think the horny toads also like rocky soil maybe - but sparse vegetation is a must. That works for both Arizona and NW Oklahoma.

I'm glad you're loving the blog - it's nice to know I'm entertaining more people than just me! We need to set up a weekend for you guys to come out and visit. It would be great fun!