The Adventures and Musings of a Conservation Biology Graduate Student

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Exploring - July 22, 2007

Greetings from God's Country!

So. Things are going well here. I'm learning that no dishwasher means I keep my kitchen cleaner than I used to. It's awfully strange, but I'm washing dishes after every meal, and then putting them away the same day. This is so unlike me. Let's hope it sticks long enough for it to become an ingrained habit.

Not having cable tv is a bit more of a challenge to get used to. I suppose I just got used to there being noise in my house whenever I was in it. I used to walk in the door and flip on the tv and then go about my chores (ha! chores. I mean sitting on the couch and watching it for an hour before I actually got up and did something useful.) So, now I'm adapting by listening to music as I do things - read, wash dishes (no lie), make food, etc. etc. And, this city girl isn't even missing fast food all that much. I'm handling this whole 'cook for every meal everyday thing' pretty well so far. Of course, I shouldn't get too ahead of myself here. This is, after all, day 2 1/2.

Yesterday I met the guy I'm going to be working a lot with. He's the lizard/snake/turtle guy - aka, the herpetology guy. His official title is "Assistant Refuge Manager," and I was surprised to learn he's only 24. He was slightly abashed by my lack of knowledge when it came to four wheelers, 4X4 trucks, changing oil, pulling trailers, etc. etc. Oh well, he is going to quickly going to see how quickly I learn and how hard I (can) work. He did teach me how to drive a 4 wheeler yesterday, and that ended up being lots of fun. Those things go fast! He told me that starting tomorrow I will be driving one a lot - as the Least Terns nests are on the Salt Flats, and 4 wheelers are the quickest way to get across the flats.

So today I explored my way to Alva. On my way I saw lots and lots of beautiful country. I'm very excited about exploring more of that. I also saw a 3-way street sign that pointed to "hither, thither, and yon". Hah. I was so charmed I took a picture. Alva itself is a quaint little town. Lovely little super WalMart that claims to be open 24 hours. I found out through the ass. manager that helped bag my stuff that 4 people called in sick today (I'm sure that means they were down to half staff). As for the "social life" I was promised, there is a Paw Paw's gifts and more shop, a very friendly meth-junkie lady at the local Subway, and a Friends of the NRA banquet. It also appears, from the sign at the visitor's center, that the rodeo was just through town. I also got many leers from old men with missing teeth.

On the plus side of Alva, the university looks really pretty, but I didn't have time to go exploring around there. And downtown, as happens in small towns, is very pretty with nice architecture. Also, some great houses - the kind that you know have ghosts in them. And, Alva has it's very own street of churches. Yep, a whole street with church after church. Each with their own billboard questioning your faith, or somesuch. My favorite was "the Straight and Narrow street has the lowest number of accidents"

So after Alva, I came home, unloaded and put away all my new stuff. Then I decided it was well past time for me to go exploring. So I put on some field clothes, sprayed on the bug spray I hoped would repel bugs (it's kind of a lighter, "feel clean" spray and all. I was just optimistic enough that it would work.) and headed off down the nature trail with my camera, mace, and water bottle (hey! I don't know what's out there!). First thing out of my door I see deer. Yep. Deer grazing right outside the door to my bedroom. They stood still long enough for me to take lots of pictures. Then it was off down the trail.

I learned fairly quickly that I'm gonna have to upgrade my bug spray. Sigh. I have the "deep woods" stuff. I just don't like using it. Nothing will want to touch me, I know, but that means I don't want to touch me either. I also remembered what Emily mentioned on Friday - that there are flies here with blades for mouthparts that will slice open your skin and lick your blood. Methinks the deep woods spray would be a small sacrifice to pay for not having to deal with those beasties.

Anyhoot. Saw lots of fun things - beautiful woods, big, beautiful bay (called the Sand Creek Bay, I believe), lots of birds (one hawk, one owl, lots of cranes). Heard lots of fun things (insects buzzing around head not being counted here) - like bullfrogs, woodpeckers, big heavy wing beats from the herons. The nature trail makes one big circle. I was about half-way through when I looked ahead on the trail and spotted a carnivore who had spotted me. I swear it looked like a big dark cat. I was far enough away from it that I didn't feel threatened, just acutely aware. I turned around and went back the other way. Turned back to see if it was still there (or stalking me, maybe) and I saw it crouched down in the tall grasses. I made my way quickly back to the road. I assumed it was a bobcat, but it looked a lot darker and bigger than one. Not big like mountain lion big though. When I made it back to the beginning of the trail, I read the info. It said the only carnivores in the area were coyotes. So, I guess that's what it was. Sure looked like a cat though.

And saw lots and lots more deer. Took lots more pictures - they let me get so close! Even took some video with my digital camera. They eventually ran away from me. But not far, they "hid" behind a cedar tree. And then when I passed them, they started following me. haha. good times. I'm sure someone feeds them, but until I know it's okay (these deer are hunted, you see. They shouldn't be as unafraid of humans as they are) they will get nothing from me.

So. Fun day of explorations. First actual day is tomorrow. I'm pretty excited. And also pretty nervous. I hope I do well. :) Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello

Just wanted to show my appreciation for your time and hard work